What’s New in This Update
Welcome to FoCal 3 Beta. This release contains a lot of underlying system changes to improve camera control, results quality, reliability of operation and ease of use.
Note that we have changed the naming system, so the previous release name was FoCal 2021 MR3, but we are moving back to a numerical system.
|FoCal – Windows & Mac||126.96.36.19940||Beta||26th July 2021|
Camera Tools > Time Synchronisation
- You can now use FoCal to set the time on your camera to the time on your computer with a single click, including setting time zone and daylight savings time options where possible.
Improvements to Results Display / Comparison Data
- Many results are now coloured based on quality level (poor, acceptable, good, excellent), and indicate whether the score is based on a general average or specific information for your actual camera/lens using the FoCal Comparison Database.
- The FoCal Comparison Database has added metrics for distortion, colour and motion to offer even more detail on how your equipment behaves compared to typical copies of cameras/lenses.
New Metadata Processor
- This version includes a brand-new metadata processor which is better integrated, faster, more accurate and offers exciting future functionality within FoCal.
Improved Firmware Update notifications
- Our database of latest firmware for cameras is now built automatically after verification of operation, so we can offer faster and more accurate indication of whether you’re using the latest firmware for your camera.
No specific known issues.
Windows Prerequisites / Installer Problems
The blog post for this release is available at: FoCal 3 Beta
Previous Release Notes
FoCal 3 Beta brings the following changes since FoCal 2021 MR3 release:
- Brand new native Metadata processor
- Internal data consistency improved
- Fixed issue with Olympus files
- Bring window to front when choosing files in remote mode
- Text updates for references to settings
- Added further details to camera/lens info table
- Fixed issue where aperture selection was incorrect for European customers
- Improved meta.json processing for specifying manual settings (e.g. for non-CPU lenses)
- Fixed out-of-sync alerts shown on the user interface
- Updated focus message to make viewfinder/live view adjustment obvious
- Fixed issue with voice prompts on Mac causing crashing at end of test
- Removed the need to restart FoCal after various changes (e.g. license updates)
- Stopped showing unnecessary camera/lenses in History where no tests available
- Improved display of results including indicating if comparison data is used and whether the results are within good ranges.
- Update comparison data to include more metrics (distortion, colour and motion)
- Filtered more low-quality data from comparison data to improve results
- Updated lens database to recognise new lenses and improve accuracy overall
- Updates to chart rendering to improve quality
- Fixed issue where camera may not open if there is no internet connection
- General term for AF Microadjustment/Fine Tune changed to “AF Adjustment”
- Fixed issue with connecting to older Nikon cameras when lens cap is on
- Added Camera Tools page (Camera > Camera Tools)
- Added functionality to synchronise time on cameras to computer time
- Reworked Failed to Focus detection and message to make it clearer
- Improvements to feedback during Stabilisation Test
- Made AF adjustment prediction more reliable during a test
- Improvements to handling of missing image metadata
- Improvements to selection of metric/imperial distance display
- Block moving away from Target Setup page when test is active
- Added export of single test from history
- Use of new comparison data with extra metrics
- Fixed delays to camera connection with poor/no internet connection
- Fix to some persistent user interface settings
- Improvements to charts in Calibration Check
- Updates to latest firmware version checking, better database and more reliable checking
- Improved selection of metric/imperial distance
- Smoother curve rendering on charts
- Show measured Consistency of Focus on CoF chart for focus calibration test
- Clearer help reference for focus-adjustment options in Target Setup
- Improvements to installer to better handle installation of updates
- Fix to MultiTest not starting under some conditions
- Update to operation of Canon cameras so user interface (of camera) is locked during FoCal operation
- Fixed crash when camera disconnected with certain dialogs show
- Improved display of time offset in camera in various places
- Fixed hotkey operation on older Canon cameras
- Order of AF Adjustment values is now friendlier for user-assisted mode cameras
- Stabilisation test default slowest shutter speed changed from 4s to 2s.