What’s New in This Update
Welcome to FoCal 3.5 Beta. This release brings big changes to Calibration Check, improvements to Wireless Camera Module integration and lots of bug fixes and improvements.
|FoCal – Windows & Mac
|27th May 2022
- Calibration Check: completely new algorithm allowing operation with mirrorless cameras (e.g. Nikon Z series which support autofocus calibration).
- Improvements to Wireless Camera Module integration – ability to set country, over-the-air updates, restore a reset unit and queuing of licensing/results when the internet is unavailable.
Note that Raw is not yet supported on the Z9 due to Nikon introducing a new raw compression format. This will be supported as soon as possible.
Windows Installer issue on older versions of Windows
If you are installing on a version of Windows up to Windows 10 September 2018 version, you may encounter an issue where the installer fails to complete.
This is due to internal certificates within Windows having expired – the solution is to run Windows Update on your computer and install all necessary updates. Reboot the machine and the installer should then complete successfully.
The blog post for this release is available at: FoCal 3.5 Beta
Previous Release Notes
- Previous Stable release is: FoCal 3.2 MR1
FoCal 3.5 Beta brings the following changes from FoCal 3.2 MR1
- Fixed issue that stopped recognition of some lens mounts in the lens database
- Fixed calculation issue in Dust Analysis test
- Added internet connection detection
- Fixed issue with Live View operation on Canon EOS-R series (R, R5, R6, RP)
- Improved download efficiency for images on Canon cameras
- Fixed an issue that could cause Canon cameras to defocus when not requested
- Implemented brand new core of CalCheck test, using Live View, more accurate results and operation with mirrorless cameras
- Implemented better reading of live view data from newer (> 2017) Nikon cameras
- Fixed an issue with focus mode control on some Nikon cameras
- Interpret “auto” electronic front curtain shutter mode (Nikon)
- Fixed issue with export of camera information from Settings > Advanced
- Fixed an issue where live view could fail on some Nikon cameras (specifically seen on Nikon Z7ii)
- Improvements to initialisation of Nikon cameras, specifically related to live view
- Later Nikon cameras (>2017) now use higher quality Live View
- Add markers for data points off the axes of charts
- Fixed an issue where focus on Nikon could be inadvertently adjusted on starting Live View
- Added keyboard shortcut to allow camera controls (CTRL+L)
- Fixed issue on several Nikon cameras where live view zoom may not action correctly
- Added verification for live view zoom frame being centred
- Automatically control live view zoom position where possible
- Automatically set centre focus point on supported cameras
- Fix to stop occasional crash reading program properties
- Significant improvements to manual focus control on Nikon cameras
- Fix live view startup issue on Nikon which may have used wrong focus mode
- Fix to allow control of AFMode on most Nikon cameras (all since around 2010)
- Automatically adjust focus point on Nikon cameras where necessary
- Fixed Canon Live View zoom issue
- Improved error message shown if Live View fails to start on Canon cameras
- Ensure shot-in-progress indication is cleared after any failures during tests
- Ensure camera/lens information shown on user interface is consistent if lens is changed while camera connected
- Improvements to chart drawing
- Added Indication if QoF calculation is using Live View images
- Show source of data (e.g. Shot or Live View) in shot information
- Fixed issue where some user interface components would be visible if UI disconnected
- Fixed incorrect display of AF Fine Tune value for Live View captured shots on Nikon
- Only show marker on CalCheck gauge when there is enough data
- Correctly detect if live view focus point is centred for all cameras, allow user change if not
- Improved control of Canon cameras - reduce setup messages (e.g. no need to adjust away from Quick Mode AF now)
- Automatic selection of 1-point Live View AF mode for Canon cameras (removes warning message)
- Fixed chart scaling between full-range and data-range on clicking of Y axis values
- Persist chart configuration during tests to ensure scale mode doesn’t change
- Removed information that changes during tests on Camera info page (e.g. aperture, shutter speed and ISO).
- Improvements to “time not correct” warning on camera connect - easier to adjust time on camera automatically now.
Wireless Camera Module
- Implemented over-the-air updating
- Added restore functionality
- Added ability to set country for wireless compliance
- New Wireless pages under Help menu
- Improvements to make control of module more responsive
- New statistics information
- Queue request to license a camera when connected to the module, and automatically action it when reconnected to the internet
- Implemented results upload queue, so results captured when offline will be uploaded on next connection